Over 60 Years Trial Experience
Representing the Injured
What To Do After An Accident
Follow These Steps To Protect Your Rights
After a crash, a state of emergency and confusion is common. It may be hard to know what to do first, second and third. Relying on the experience and knowledge of an accomplished personal injury lawyer is a smart move. Monckton, Hembree & Humphries Law Firm, P.A., offers free advice to accident victims, beginning at the first consultation.
Therefore, we advise you to:
- Seek medical treatment first of all and above all.
- Preserve evidence in any way that you can. (This may include tracking down where your crashed car is towed to, in case an investigation requires evaluation of the vehicle.
- Find out if there are any eyewitnesses.
- Get names and contact information of any witnesses if possible.
- Talk to a lawyer before making statements to police investigators.
- Talk to a lawyer before accepting any payment or making any statements to insurance claims adjusters.
Many people - whether injured or family members of injured accident victims - are in a state of shock, in emergency mode, after an accident.
They tend to put off the important step of consulting with an attorney.
This is unfortunate.
Take advantage of our South Carolina auto accident law firm's offer of a free initial consultation to learn how we can guide you through the steps to claiming the compensation you are entitled to after a vehicle accident.
Truck Accidents In Myrtle Beach
Our Area Has Seen A 15% Increase In Truck Related Accidents Since 2010
Truck accidents are different from other types of traffic accidents for a number of reasons, including insurance issues, the usual severity of injuries and the types of evidence that need to be examined.
Monckton, Hembree & Humphries Law Firm, P.A., in Myrtle Beach advises truck accident victims and their families on steps to take to recover compensation after a truck accident, including the following:
- Talk to an attorney
- Review available insurance and other sources of compensation
- Communicate clearly and often with medical personnel to gain an understanding of an injured person's prognosis and recovery after a serious or catastrophic injury
- Don't make important statements to police or other investigators while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Protect valuable evidence, such as a truck driver's log
A commercial vehicle often has layers of insurance coverage.
When several insurers are involved, they tend to point fingers and seek to evade payment of compensation through complex litigation.
An experienced personal injury attorney at Monckton, Hembree & Humphries Law Firm, P.A., can cut through the complexities and get to the heart of the matter: finding and obtaining the compensation you are entitled to after a truck crash. This is one of the reasons that talking to a lawyer should be high on your list of priorities after a truck acciden't.
Injuries are often catastrophic or fatal in accidents involving big rigs and other types of trucks. This is true because of the huge weight difference between a truck and a car. If your loved one suffered a serious head injury or spinal cord injury, or if he or she died in a truck accident, seek counsel from an experienced lawyer such as one of our accomplished personal injury attorneys at Monckton, Hembree & Humphries Law Firm, P.A. We have obtained ample compensation for many people coping with catastrophic injuries or loss of loved ones.
A detailed investigation of a truck accident is likely to entail examination of:
- A truck driver's log
- A black box, if available
- Photos of the scene of the accident
- Cell Phone records
- Any evidence that a truck driver had consumed alcohol or drugs before the accident
Auto Insurance Do's And Don'ts In South Carolina
Out Of State Residents Need An Experienced South Carolina Attorney
The most important thing to do regarding insurance and vehicle accidents only applies before a truck or car accident: make sure you have unemployed and underinsured motorist coverage on top of your basic car insurance coverage.
Making sure you are fully covered in the event of a car accident is the responsible thing to do - and very affordable for anyone. However, your accident may have happened before you had a chance to obtain UI/UIM insurance. You may have a more challenging path along the road to compensation for your injuries and losses. Please contact Monckton, Hembree & Humphries Law Firm, P.A., nonetheless.
Ask our experienced personal injury attorneys what else you need to do - or not do - to help bring about the best outcome in terms of insurance and your accident, now that a crash and injury have taken place.
- Do not make statements to anyone before talking to an attorney. It can be very difficult - or impossible - for us to help you undo a mistake made in conversation with an investigator, another driver or a claims adjuster.
- Remember that even your own insurance company is not your advocate or protector. The company has done business with you in order to make a profit. Now that you are preparing to make a claim for compensation for injuries, any insurance company that may have any liability in the situation is now your opponent.
- Insurance companies will work hard to delay or avoid paying out benefits in order to protect their own bottom lines. They may put up roadblocks on the basis of differing definitions of "medical necessity," for example. A knowledgeable lawyer can advocate on your behalf and compel insurance companies to make good on their policy terms.
- Consider the notion that your insurance company is actually engaged in a sort of gambling operation. When you buy insurance, you are betting that someday you may need to make a claim. The insurance company is betting that you will not. Now that you do have cause to file a claim for compensation, the burden will be on you to demonstrate that your losses meet the criteria for a meritorious claim. An experienced personal injury attorney can be your best ally at a time like this.
- For best results when you first meet with your car accident attorney, bring in your insurance policy to let the lawyer evaluate what obstacles may stand in the way of your recovery of compensation.
- Insurance matters regarding car accidents and injuries tend to be quite complex. A serious accident is a once-in-a-lifetime calamity for many people - and everyday business for a personal injury attorney such as the lawyers at Monckton, Hembree & Humphries Law Firm, P.A. We have the knowledge and experience needed to confront and overcome insurance-related legal challenges that may hold the key to your obtaining the compensation you need.